Be honest, in today’s society, how often do you manage to get outside? With the daily hustle and bustle that life throws our way, it sometimes seems impossible to find the time to get outside yourself, let alone take your children for a trip to the local park or zoo. However, we can’t stress how important it is to get outside. Not only does it improve your health, but it sets a great example for our children… and, let’s be honest, are they not the most important things in your life?
Luckily, New England offers a variety of activities to enjoy throughout the year. And better yet, summer opens up a whole range of new activities to entice you to get outside and enjoy the sunshine! The following article from playworks.org explains why it is so important to get outside with your children and enjoy what nature has to offer, whether you get outside and have fun or you simply get outside and relax.
Six Reasons to Get Outside This Weekend
The benefits of play outdoors are endless. Take advantage of that this weekend!
May 24, 2012
Every day should be an opportunity to play in the great outdoors. But if you can’t squeeze in time outdoors on weekdays, you certainly can look forward to the weekend. With the kids out of school and work on hold, weekends are a time for family. Families that play together, grow together. With summer approaching, the outdoors is looking even more appealing. Here are six reasons you and the family should get outside this weekend:
- Along with warmer spring weather, is an invitation to cook outside. Pull out the barbeque and grab your favorite foods. The chore of making dinner becomes an adventure.
- Take some time this three day weekend to celebrate Memorial Day.Gather the neighbors and hold a potluck meal, check out the local news for special events. This weekend is known in many regions as the unofficial start to summer. You may even be able to catch your first dip in the local swimming pool.
- Don’t be a statistic. Inactivity can lead to health problems and the increasing waistlines of too many Americans. “Outdoor play increases fitness levels and builds active, healthy bodies, an important strategy in helping the one in three American kids who are obese get fit,” according to the National Wildlife Federation (NWF).
- Lead by example. Children today play outside less often than we did as kids. This may be due to a variety of reasons, but the statistics are clear. Outdoor play is great for kids and adults! NWF also tells us that “Children who play outside are more physically active, more creative in their play, less aggressive and show better concentration.” If you want kids to benefit, lead by example and get outside to play yourselves!
- Nature rocks! The plants, animals and surroundings offer enormous beauty and countless learning opportunities. Go to your local park and explore–watch bugs crawl, pick your favorite flowers, create leaf rubbings.
- Gardening with the kids. Digging in the dirt builds immunity. Planting vegetables can create an appreciate food of foods for children and cuts down on the cost of meals. Learning increases when you give kids outdoors, hands-on work. In fact, in an American Institute for Research study, students who learn in an outdoor setting raised their science scores by 27%.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to get outside!
There is no better time than now to get outside and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer. The weather is nice, the kids are out of school, and the Zoos and parks are open all over the state. If you’re looking for a fun, exciting, and educational way to get outside this summer, why not visit us at Southwick’s Zoo? Yes, your family can get outside and enjoy your backyard, or you can get outside and enjoy nature, while visiting a variety of animals at our Zoo… which sounds more fun to you? Besides enjoying the health benefits that nature offers, allowing your children to get outside will set a great example and promote a healthy wellbeing. We have rides, food, and trails… outdoor fun that the whole family can enjoy! Southwick’s Zoo is the largest Zoo in New England- if that isn’t enough of a reason to get outside, then we don’t know what is!
If you live in or around Mendon, Massachusetts and have any questions about Southwick’s Zoo, please feel free to give us a call. We’d love to have you and your family here to visit!