Up to 50 years
Name of Young
- Military macaws are found in Central America and South America. They are sometimes confused with the Great Green Macaw which has a similar appearance, but is larger than military macaws.
- Their name comes from their mostly green plumage. Their faces are white with black lines.
- Macaws are zygodactyls, meaning that they have four toes. Two toes point forwards and two point backwards. This helps the macaw to climb and grasp objects.
- Military macaws, as well as other species of macaw, often ingest clay. This may help eliminate toxins, but also is a source of sodium. It is difficult for birds that live inland to get an appropriate amount of salt in their diet.
- Breeding pairs will remain together for life. When flying as a flock, mated pairs will fly together.
Did You Know?
Like all macaws, these birds are curious and intelligent. They are also very vocal and capable of mimicking various noises including human speech. They also make shrieking and cracking noises to communicate with others in their flock.