Name of Young
- The cockatiel is a small parrot native to Australia. Other names for the cockatiel are “quarrion” and “weiro.”
- Cockatiels usually live in groups of about 12 birds, however they may form flocks numbering in the hundreds when food is plentiful.
- They are the smallest type of cockatoo. Cockatiels have a crest on their heads which can is used to communicate their emotions. When the crest is raised, the bird is excited. When their crest is lowered they are relaxed.
- Cockatiels nest in tree holes. They often choose trees that are in close proximity to water. Cockatiels enter their nest hollow tail first.
- Cockatiels lay 3 to 7 eggs at a time. Both parents take turns sitting on the nest and incubating the eggs.
Did You Know?
Wild cockatiels are usually grey in color with a white or yellow face. However, breeding them in captivity has resulted in color variations. Cockatiels are popular as pets because they are smaller and easier to care for than larger parrots.