Hey Folks, we are opening for the season on April 13, 2013! Here is the new rate structure for 2013! We are really excited about the inclusion of a new kiddie ride called The Jungle Boat, new exhibits and an all new Bird Show for 2013! ps. We were able to keep the General Admission and Rides rates the same as 2012!
The chimpanzees are enjoying the snow after the Blizzard of 2013. Enrichment is always a big part of taking care of the animals here at the zoo, especially when we are closed for the winter. The zookeepers made snowmen for the chimpanzees and mandrills to see what they would do. As expected, the goodies on the snowmen was the draw. You can see the chimpanzee exhibit on Weatherbug EVERY DAY! Check it out, it’s very cool!
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of one of our own. Linda S. Brewer, wife of Robert Brewer passed peacefully at home after a valiant and gracious battle with cancer. A resident of Mendon for the past 21 years, Linda was the Parrot Curator at Southwick’s Zoo (owned by the Brewer Famliy) in Mendon where she had established “Bird Talk”, an educational program enjoyed by the many visitors to the zoo. She had also hand raised the many exotic birds that are presently on display. She had knowledge and passion for exotic birds, enjoyed crafts, and was a member of the Daniels Farmstead Foundation and Earth Limited at Southwick’s Zoo.
Her greatest joy came from her grandchildren.
In addition to her husband Robert of 18 ½ years, she is survived her children Christina M. and her husband Brian Oppici , Cheri M. Rymsza and Aaron A. Goodin , 5 grandchildren Danielle, Nicolas, Sophia, Jacob, and Isabella, and many nieces and nephews.
Many of us remember Linda driving around in her “Parrot Wagon” sharing her love and excitement over the amazing birds at the zoo. She was also a driving force with the creation of Parakeet Landing, a walk through aviary and bird feeding station. She always had a smile on her face and a kind word for anyone. We will truly miss her spirit and our thoughts are with the family at this time.
The Lion Cubs are getting really big and they are definitely showing their predator instincts. Although they are adorable and amazingly beautiful, they are “wild” and dangerous animals. Safety is our number one priority in caring for these animals and it is a Zookeeper’s job to never underestimate an animal and to observe and learn from their behavior. In this picture, our little male lion was reacting to his sister trying to steal a toy. Notice the teeth (yowza), eyes, and claws…they are definitely not babies anymore. They can be incredibly fast and unpredictable at this stage as they are learning, exploring and growing. They have been on a meat diet for some time (beef & venison) and they are only 3 months old!
*Please ONLY submit an application for the following positions for which you are qualified.
We will be accepting applications for non-supervisory positions in March!
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS (1/14/13)
- SkyFari Ride Primary Operator. Applicants must have experience with hydraulics, mechanics, and working with the public. He/She must have the ability to work quickly and safely with others in a supervisory capacity. When applying online select “RIDES” under the department selection.
- Custodial. Experience in the custodial field is a plus. Custodial positions include restroom cleaning, supply stocking, grounds cleaning, trash removal, etc. When applying online select “CUSTODIAL” under the department selection.
- Food Service Supervisors. Applicants must have experience in the food service industry (a serve safe certificate is a plus) in a supervisory capacity. This is a fast paced and demanding environment. When applying online select “FOOD SERVICE” under the department selection.
- Retail Supervisors. Applicants should be comfortable working with teenagers and have experience in the retail industry in a supervisory/managerial role. He/She must be motivated, independent and model exceptional customer service while overseeing individual retail locations. When applying online select “RETAIL” under the department selection.
- Ride Attendants. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, are safety conscious and enjoy working with the public, children especially. This position requires a positive and upbeat demeanor while providing a safe and respectful environment for the children. When applying online select “RIDES” under the department selection.
The Zoo may be closed but we are now taking reservations for Group Sales for the 2013 season!
Group Rates are offered to schools, organizations, and non-profits with 20 or more guests at least 3 years of age who arrive together, pay in one payment (business check, cash, credit) and enter the zoo together as one group. Group rates are offered on Mon – Sat. Sorry, group rates cannot be honored on Sundays or Holidays.
Groups who book before March 15th will be assured the Group Rate of $9.00 per person (adult, child (3-12) or senior)!
CALL 800-258-9182 X 501 TO BOOK YOUR TRIP TODAY! (DATES IN MAY & JUNE ARE FILLING UP FAST)
African Lions born at Southwick’s Zoo ~ Oct 2012
A female and male are now a part of the Southwick’s Zoo family. The cubs are doing great and growing fast and we can’t wait to share them with our visitors during the 2013 season.
The Chimpanzees had a blast after the recent snow! Tanzie, the almost 4 year old chimpanzee loves the snow! When she came outside this morning, the first thing she did was stick her face in the snow. Her mother Tabitha started eating the snow while Tanzie proceeded to jump around and play in the snow. Many of the other animals at the zoo enjoy the snow, but the chimpanzees have the most fun with it. When when have a substantial snow storm we will make snow men in their exhibit for them to enjoy!
We are accepting Docent Applications from now till December 13th. Interviews are going on now and classes start February 16, 2013! A great Program and Opportunity at the Zoo! Contact email@example.com for more information or